DeForest Locally Grown represents a group of small farms and gardeners located around Deforest, WI. Each grower uses strict standards to ensure that everything produced is free of synthetic chemicals. All member farms are dedicated to supplying their customers with fresh, high quality products including but not limited to vegetables, herbs, eggs, fruits, flowers, and transplants. Locally Grown uses cooperative efforts to achieve a steady and dependable means of supplying local products and encourages farmers to protect our natural resources, support our local economy, provide meaningful work, and return to a more self-sufficient community life.
Locally Grown history
The Locally Grown network was founded in 2001 in Athens, Georgia when area farmers recognized the need for community members and small business owners to market their produce. Currently, Athens Locally Grown sells an abundance of products to over 1200 individuals and families, as well as local restaurants and grocery stores.
At Locally Grown you get to order what you want, in quantities that you want, from the farmer you want. Once you sign up for an account, you will receive a weekly email that lists the products available that week. Inactive accounts may be deleted after one year. You can browse the items on this website before you place your order. At this time the annual membership fee is FREE.
What makes a LocallyGrown.net market?
- The produce is local to the market. Growers are located within a 100 mile radius.
- The growers set their own prices. Growers describe what is available and set own prices much like traditional farmers’ market booths and customers buy directly from the grower.
- The customer has choices. Customers can browse from different growers and choose exactly what to buy, how much and from whom.
- The customer has time to decide. Online market is open for a three day window, giving customers time to browse site and plan menus for the week.
- Availability is flexible. Item availability is sometimes estimated during the ordering window. Customer can order beyond the estimated availability; if product is available the order will be filled.
- The produce is harvested to order. After the ordering window closes, the grower is notified. All fresh produce is picked after order is taken, packaged, and delivered to the pick up site on pick up day.
- Payment is taken when the orders are picked up. Payment is not made at the time of ordering. Payment will be made in cash or check at time of pick up or customers can pay in advance and draw down on their balances. Payment at pick up allows for changes to the order dictated by availability or customers change in mind. However, if a customer places an order but for whatever reason does not arrive to pick it up, the customer is still responsible for paying for that order.
Each Sunday, a list of available products is sent to everyone with an account here by e-mail. Customers must place their order for the week any time after that email goes out, but no later than Tuesday at Midnight. Orders are placed here on our website. Growers receive their orders Wed and begin harvest.
If you miss the ordering cut off, you can still come to the Farm Stand on Friday.
Picking Up Orders
Pick up at Forest Run Farm in Deforest:
From 3:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. on Friday (Early season and Late season pick up (before Memorial Day and after October 15 will be shortened to 3:00 to 5:00 on Friday with alternate, late pick up times available pre-scheduled), families can pick-up their produce at Forest Run Farm, 3757 Mueller Rd., DeForest, WI. A map to our location can be found here. Bring a reusable tote to pack your purchases into. Please respect the closing time and arrive with plenty of time to make additional purchases and pack up your produce. Keep your pets in the car or they are welcome to walk on leash along the driveway; do not bring them into the Market Area where produce is on display.
Payment can be made in cash or check (made out to Forest Run Farm LLC) at the time of pick up. Customers can also pay in advance and draw down on their balances. Or purchase a Farm Stand CSA through Forest Run Farm and get additional value. Farmer’s Market Nutrition Program Vouchers will also be accepted for purchases of Forest Run Farm fruits and vegetables. Payment at pick up allows for changes to the order dictated by additions to the order at pick up.
I have purchased a Farm Stand CSA through Forest Run Farm: What do I do?
The Farm Stand CSA runs from April to November.
Set up an account using the Your Account tab above. You will receive 4 punch cards: three cards will contain the value you purchased, while the 4th will contain a bonus value. The first card will expire at the end of July. The second card will expire at the end of September and the third card will expire the end of the season. The punch cards are used as cash to purchase produce from Forest Run Farm ordered at DeForest Locally Grown. You will receive your punch cards in the mail once we receive your sign up and you must bring them to every pick up just as you would bring cash.
Place your order of produce from Forest Run Farm between Sunday and Tuesday. Note: The CSA is good for only produce grown by Forest Run Farm.
There is only one option for pick up this year—when you sign up for CSA.
Pick up your order at Forest Run Farm on Friday. Your cost will be deducted from your punch card. Be sure to use all your credit during the session time.Pick up at Forest Run Farm in Deforest:
From 3:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. on Friday (Early season and Late season pick up (before Memorial Day and after October 15 will be shortened to 3:00 to 5:00 on Friday with alternate pick up times available), families can pick-up their produce at Forest Run Farm, 3757 Mueller Rd., DeForest, WI. A map to our location can be found here. Bring a reusable tote to pack your purchases into. Please respect the closing time and arrive with plenty of time to make additional purchases and pack up your produce. Keep your pets in the car or they are welcome to walk on leash along the driveway; do not bring them into the Market Area where produce is on display.
Additional information for Farm Stand CSA customers:
1. Setting up an account—email address is the main vehicle of communication, please use one that you connect with regularly. Also use a phone number that we can reach you at during normal pick up hours in case we have an emergency. Orders not picked up will still be charged to your account and the produce will be donated.
2. Farm Stand CSA customers will receive 3 punch cards totaling the value of their CSA share plus an additional bonus card. These punch cards must be brought to pick up and are used as cash for Forest Run Farm products. The first card, containing one third of the value, must be used during session 1: April, May, June, and July. Only produce grown by Forest Run Farm can be paid for using the CSA punch card. The second card, containing one third of the value, must be used during session 2: June, July, August, and September. The third card, containing one third of the value, must be used during session 3: August, September, October, and November. All other purchases made through Deforest Locally Grown must be paid for with cash or check. If credit remains on your punch card at the end of a session, please return the card to Forest Run Farm so that the remaining balance can be put into our Forest Run Farm Family Assistance Fund to fund shares for those in need. For each session this credit is designated for Forest Run Farm vegetables, cut herbs, or fruit. Note: CSA credit is not valid on eggs, plants, clothing, or gift certificates. Additionally, this market currently has other growers like Ripp-N-Good Sweet Corn. Forest Run Farm CSA credit is not valid on other farms’ products, so when using CSA credit be sure to order produce from Forest Run Farm. Items not covered by CSA credit must be paid for at Friday‘s pick up with cash or check to Forest Run Farm. To be sure that you are ordering Forest Run Farm products, go to the “Display Options” area on the Market Page for ordering and under “Show Specific Growers” choose Forest Run Farm products be displayed.
3. Weblog announces the Market is open and what is available that week. The Weblog will be emailed each Sunday as the Market opens and will list the products available for the week. The Market will list the availability of each item; it will usually say estimated which means we may have more than the number listed. What this means is that if the number goes to (-)1, we’d probably be able to fill it. But if the number goes to (-)13 we may not be able to fill the last orders. This market will work on first come, first serve, so order early.
4. Cancellations: You can cancel your order without additional charge if you do so before the Market closes (Midnight on Tuesday). If you do not cancel and do not pick up, you will be charged for your order. If something comes up and you realize you cannot make your pickup, send a friend.
5. The Pay-As–You-Go Farm Stand is open to anyone. Tell your friends and neighbors about us. Customers do have to set up their own account to be able to use the on-line ordering system, they also must order by the deadline and pick up on Friday at Forest Run Farm. It is also available to CSA members that have used all their available credit for a certain session or wish to purchase items that are not valid with CSA credit. The Farm Stand is also open to walk up customers every Friday for those who do not wish to set up an account, but note that some weeks the selection may be limited.
6. Pre-paid Egg shares can start at any time. We will keep track of how many dozen you have used on a punch card. Do not add eggs to your cart, simply note in the comment section just before you “place this order” that you’d like to pick up a dozen eggs, or even 2 dozen at a time is ok. If you only wish to pick up eggs, just email email@example.com with your intent. If you use up your egg share and still wish to order eggs, you can put them directly into your cart and pay cash or check at pick up time.
I would like to purchase a CSA share through Forest Run Farm: What do I do?
Go to www.ForestRunFarm.com and follow the links to the sign up page. Choose between the traditional 20 week share in four options or the Flexible Farm Stand CSA that is ordered HERE at Deforest Locally Grown on the weeks you would like produce.
Other Important Items:
Gift Certificates are available! If you would like to purchase a gift of health and flavor, please consider a Locally Grown gift certificate. You can decide the amount. Contact us.
Sponsor a membership! If you would like to sponsor a membership for an individual or family, please contact us.
Still have questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org